OWL: Our Whole Lives
2019-2020 Schedule and Registration
We are offering three OWL programs in 2020 for children in grades K-1, 4-5, & 7-9. At this time priority will be given to children & families of church members and attendees, but space may be available for interested families of the larger community. Please contact Nicole Fitzhugh, Coordinator for Children and Family Ministries, to enquire about availability.
OWL programs are led by trained volunteers from the congregation. Every OWL program begins with a required meeting between parents and the teachers to familiarize parents with the materials and to help parents engage with the material themselves. OWL encourages discussion and conversation between parents and children in an open, supportive fashion. The first session has parents attend with their children, and often the programs end with an all-family session. Learn more about Our Whole Lives at the Unitarian Universalist Association website.
This section supports parents in educating children about birth, babies, bodies and families. The nine sessions engage children with stories, songs and activities and include a weekly homework project for parents and children to do together to promote dialogue between parent and child. This class is taught by Becky and Jeff Leyser. Becky is a graduate of Starr King School of Ministry and she and her husband are long time UUOakland members. Contact them at email@example.com.
This section helps children in Fourth and Fifth Grade gain the knowledge, life principles, and skills they need to understand and express their sexuality in holistic, life-enhancing ways. Children are introduced to key topics like values, body image, gender and sexual identity, peer pressure, and healthy relationships with sensitivity and inclusiveness. This eight-session class is taught by Susan Killebrew and Charles Masten, both long time UUOakland members.
Our preteen curriculum, like the previous programs, contains activities that help the children clarify their own values and improve their decision-making skills within a safe and supportive peer group. It focuses on the acceptance of diversity, and inclusive sexuality education with a social justice approach. This curriculum has updated content addressing body image, social media/internet, bullying/bystander responsibilities, and consent education. The 7-9 OWL program has two on-site weekend retreats to strengthen the relationships between the youth and promote the creation of a safe space in which to discuss the content. This deeply comprehensive program covers 15 weeks, including the retreats. This program is taught by Hilary Near, Natalie Ingraham and Jordan Stephens, all young adult members of the congregation.
Session Schedules and Costs:
All sessions will be held on Sundays at First Unitarian Church of Oakland. Costs cover teacher training and the retreats for Gr. 7-9 participants.
- Required Parent Only Orientation: 10/20/19; 9:15 – 10:15am
- Required Parent and Child Orientation: 1/12/20; 9 – 10:30am
- Sunday Sessions: 1/26, 2/2, 2/9, 2/23, 3/1, 3/8, 3/15, 3/22; 9:15 – 10:15am (*Note: break on 2/16)
- Families are encouraged to attend the final session on 3/22.
- We require children to attend at least 6 sessions after the required Parent/Child Orientation.
- Registration deadline: 1/18/20
$50 for pledging church members and $150 for non-pledging friends.
There is a 50% discount for the second child in the family attending any of the three programs.
- Required Parent Orientation Meeting, 1/12/20; 10 – 11:30am
- Session Schedule: 1/26, 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/1, 3/8, 3/15, 3/22; 10 – 11:30am
- We require children to attend at least 7 sessions.
- Member registration deadline: 1/18/20; non-members will be notified of availability & must register by 1/23/20
$50 for pledging church members and $150 for non-pledging friends. There is a 50% discount for the second child in the family attending any of the three programs.
- Required Parent Orientation Meeting, 11/18/19; 6:30 – 8pm
- First Retreat: 2/7 – 2/9, Friday evening through Sunday morning, at First Unitarian
- Session Schedule: 2/16 – 3/22; Spring break 3/29 – 4/12; sessions resume 4/19 – 5/17; 12 – 2pm
- Final Retreat: 5/29 – 5/31, Friday evening through Sunday morning, at First Unitarian
- Member registration deadline: 11/21/19; non-members will be notified of availability & must register by 12/5/19.
In addition to the Parent Orientation, participating families agree to have the youth attend at least the first retreat and 8 sessions.
$300 for pledging church members and $500 for non-pledging friends. The increased cost covers the extended length of the program and the two off-site retreats. Sibling discounts apply.
How to register:
Please fill out the registration form. Once you have registered and attended the Parent Orientation Meeting for your grade level, payment information will follow.